heart theme

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

busy week





This last week was pretty busy for us. We had fun going bowling with a couple of friends. We went to the on post bowling alley. Imagine a 100% smoke free bowling lane. There are some advantages to army life. Unfortunately the smokefree air did not help my game and I am still one of the worst bowlers ever. Jonas had a lot of fun the first game. He of course would just basically drop the ball and we had to hurry and push it before it was out of reach so it would make it all the way to the pins. During the second game Jonas kind of lost some interest and just wanted to run around the bowling alley.

At the end of the week we went to Nashville for the 1/2 marathon that I had talked James into doing with me months ago. We did survive. BARELY! Just kidding we had a lot of fun, thanks to Laura and Drew who watched Jonas for us. On our way to the race I was anything but excited however because we had hardly slept the night before, we had to wake up at 4:30 to get there on time, I just wasn't feeling that well, and then while waiting in line for the shuttle to take us to the start of the race we got rained on which made us shiver cause it was still kind of cool outside. Of course once we started running we were fine and luckily the cloud cover kept up for the whole race. James who had not trained at all made it look easy and to his credit he stayed with me the whole time. I did a lot better than I thought I would and kept going until the last few miles where I started getting really really tired. There were thousands of people running in the race and so many people on the sidelines cheering us on as well. It was a great feeling to cross the finish line. We finished in our estimated time and we didn't puke which was one of my goals. Running the marathon made me think about how when we have to go through some trial in life that seems impossibly hard and long lasting, sometimes we have more strength to get through it than we think we do or else we are given more strength than we would normally have. Because I really didn't think that I was going to survive it and I did. That day we all three came home and crashed on the living room floor. The next day James and I were so sore that we were walking weird. But we both agreed that it was a very fun experience.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Way to go! That's awesome! Good job finishing the race. I like your comparison to trials in life. Isn't it nice to know we will always be given the strength to make it through if we ask for it?! It's comforting to me.

Laura said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

Diana said...

You are the second person I know that has recently ran a 1/2 marathon! I'm trying to get into shape to run a 5k! Way to go!

Angie said...

Wow! I'm impressed! It takes me back to our track days. I'm a far cry from those days. I'd be happy now if I could run around the block without puking. :)

Laura said...

Amber - I noticed you added a link to our recipe blog. Would you like to become a "member" of the blog and add recipes too?!? Just leave a comment and let me know - I'll need your email address. :)

Melanie said...

I'm so impressed you did this! When Mom and Dad told us about it, Seth and I thought that was awesome! There is no way I could do what you did.
Godd job finishing and you've seriously inspired me to really start working out after this baby is born. Congrats!

Maren Hansen said...

you guys are awesome! good job!! one of these days, i'm going to be like you and run more than my piddly 7 miles... :) good job on the not puking--that's more than James can say with his ride in the little airplane... :)

Anonymous said...

Amber,
You never cease to amaze me. Nice job to both of you for making it alive through the marathon. I am telling you though, it ain't bad to be on the fat and old side of things so let me know when you'd like to join me. We'll eat pork rinds together.
-Seth