heart theme

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Perseveration





I need to know if other kids do this. After the 4th of July for months and months actually until Christmas Jonas kept telling us "firecackers are loud". I can't tell you how many times we heard this but it was several times a day. When we went home for Christmas my mom had some big nutcrackers on the fireplace. Jonas was very scared of them and would not get close to them. We had to tell him that nutcrackers are fake they're not real, they're made of wood. Ever since then Jonas seems to have forgotten about firecrackers, but he needs to tell me all the time that nutcrackers are fake. Then he tries to explain to me the process of cracking a nut in the nutcrackers mouth. He was even telling another little girl that I was babysitting that nutcrackers are fake. The connection between firecrackers and nutcrackers is that he was very scared of both of them. He seems to get fascinated with things that he is scared of.

3 comments:

Maren Hansen said...

You've come to the expert of neurotic children: the oldest two are freaked out about noises (A to the extent that she will not watch gunshot scenes even turned down low), B is terrified of bugs, and the littlest one is afraid of being body-slammed for the millionth time. Seriously, though, all my kids have (or will) gone through the neurotic phase, some worse than others. My niece used to be scared to death of dirt (which ended up precluding jumping on the trampoline for 3 years--all that scary, bouncing dirt). Hopefully, Jonas passes through the phase sooner rather than later... Miss you guys!

Courtney said...

HI Amber,
I haven't checked your blog for awhile. Emma is already a worry-wart. She says some things as if trying to convince herself, like Jonas repeating that the nutcracker is made of wood, and therefore not alive. It makes me a little sad sometimes. She was talking about President Hinckley dying, and kept asking, "but it's not my turn to die, right?"

I'm glad you guys seem to be doing well.

Jessica said...

I am the queen of worry so I feel for him.

P.S. I would love to do a header, if you want me to do the whole thing so it matches really well, I'd love to do that too. Just let me know what you would like. You can email me. Since it's the weekend, email Greg's gatkinson529@yahoo.com